Tuesday, June 09, 2020

No man is free until all lives are free.

No man is free until all lives are free.

There's been a lot of talk about black lives matter and as a community, we are starting to do solidarity walks and protesting, posting signs, and doing what we can as a community to join the cause.

Yesterday, I saw quite a debate between neighbors on Nextdoor and I wanted to share this resource I received from DragonTree, a local Colorado business in Boulder. This is from Peter Borten, one of the owners, and I felt it was very helpful for other non-black lives to understand and utilize.

He says,

"I’m not an expert on racism, so I’m sharing this amazing list of resources (mostly for White people) – books, podcasts, videos, and articles by people who have made this their life’s work. Learn what they have to teach and amplify their voices. ⁣(see the full article on The Dragontree Blog for link) ⁣

What I do know is a holistic healing and by applying these principles to our disease, I believe we truly shall overcome.⁣
1. Be humble. Resist the impulse to believe you already know, and listen to others’ experiences.⁣
2. Dedicate yourself to learning the truth. Go to multiple sources – not just the first one that confirms what you already believed. ⁣
3. Broaden your perspective. Let your vision include as many factors as you can hold space for. This means also acknowledging what’s been kept hidden in the shadows, and the parts of yourself that you’ve denied. ⁣
4. Forgive. Forgiveness is healing. I’m not saying your feelings are wrong. I’m not saying you aren’t entitled to feel angry, sad, victimized, or anything else. I’m not putting a timeline on it. I’m only saying that at some point, a complete healing process – and true freedom – entails releasing our grievances. ⁣
Please share your experience. We all learn from this conversation.⁣"

No man is free until all lives are free. There's been a lot of talk about black lives matter and as a community we are starting to do solidarity walks and protesting, posting signs, and doing what we can as a community to join the cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment